Order directly from Dr. Henslin by calling 714-256-2807 or purchase at the Brea office.
Order online from Amazon.com using the links below.
An honest, healing look at dysfunctional families. Uses clinical and biblical examples to help you uncover the secrets of your family tree and start untangling those ties that bind.
Even the best families, including ones in the Bible, have secrets. Incest, alcoholism, rage, codependence. And they are passed from generation to generation just as surely as eye color and skin tone. Breaking the chain is not an easy task, but Secrets of Your Family Tree can help. It examines the problems, then guides the reader in the steps of recovery.
A person could not possibly put a price on the invaluable information that this book provides its readers. Some especially good points in the book are: “Time does NOT ‘heal all wounds’ when it comes to family issues; If we have only experienced a family that keeps everything secret, that is how we will naturally conduct our own family.” My favorite chapters are the first three since they go through the roots of dsyfunctional families and provide an in-your-face look at how they operate under different circumstances. – Customer Review – Amazon.com
Have used this for bibliotherapy on several occasions. Starts with Bible references then what patterns can lead to the process of a dysfunctional family. Most useful has been the section of “How to Do It Right When You Learned Wrong.” My personal earlier years were thrashed through the involvement with a pastoral dysfunctional family. Appendix B is one of the most powerful sections of the book: “Patterns Predicting Pastoral Infidelity.” Reading and understanding the impact of such described behavior allowed me to heal from “sins of the father,” which further inspired me in my doctoral studies. – Customer Review – Amazon.com
Table of Contents
Part 1: Dysfunctional Families of the Bible
1. David and His Family Tree – Earl Henslin, Psy.D.
2. Isaac and His Family Tree – Dave Carder, M.A.
Part 2: Contributing Factors In Family Dysfunction
3. Passing the Torch:The Multigenerational Transmission Process – Dave Carder, MA.
4. Guilt-ridden Baggage: The Role of Religious Shame – Earl Henslin, Psy.D.
5. Helping the Helpers: Dysfunctional Families in “The Ministry” – Alice Brawand, M.A.
6. Blest Be the Tie That Binds: Local Church “Family” Patterns -Dave Carder, M.A.
Part 3: Family Health: How to Do It Right When You Learned It Wrong
7. Learning to Bond -John Townsend. Ph.D.
8. Learning to Set Boundaries -John Townsend, Ph.D.
9. Learning About Goodness/Badness – Henry Cloud, Ph.D.
10. Learning to Achieve Adulthood -Henry Cloud, Ph.D.
11. Jesus Models Healthy Relationships – Earl Henslin, Psy.D.
12. Facing Life’s “Unfair Assignments” – Dave Carder, M.A.
13. How the Local Church Can Help – Earl Henslin, Psy.D.
Where ACDFs Can Find Help
Patterns Predicting Pastoral Infidelity
Twelve Steps of Alcoholics Anonymous